On May 25, 1948, a committee was appointed to evaluate possibilities of an Auxiliary. Only two months later, the new Auxiliary included 66 community members and an elected board committed to supporting Perry Memorial Hospital and its mission to provide compassionate, quality health services to the people and community it serves. Over than past 70 years, the Auxiliary has provided well over 40,000 hours of volunteer service and has produced more than $500,000 dollars to purchase much-needed small hospital equipment for patient care.
Mrs. Abby Gunning was the first Auxiliary President. Duties of the members included making surgical towels, weekly mending and canning. Mrs. Gunning's vision was to open a Gift Shop with donated items for sale in the administration office. Sixty-five years later, the Perry Auxiliary Gift Shop still operates with the generosity of volunteers.
In 1954, the Auxiliary hosted its first event: the Candy Cane House Bazaar. The success of the event have led to more events and activities each year. The community support continue to benefit Auxiliary fund-raising efforts, including
Gift Shop volunteers are able to choose from a variety of hours and days to work, making it convenient and flexible to serve. Additionally, Gift Shop volunteers are eligible for 10% off purchases, as well as receive a free meal in the Park Avenue Cafe on the lower level when working in the Gift Shop. To learn more about Auxiliary Gift Shop volunteer opportunities, contact Donna Braida at 815-876-4482.
Annual dues are $10 and $100 for lifetime memberships. You can become a member by completing this form and contacting Sue Gorman, Membership Chair, at 815-878-5062.