You will be contacted by a Perry pre-operative nurse regarding your surgery. It’s imperative you share a complete health history and list of current medications, including over-the-counter and herbal medications with the nurse. The nurse will direct you to shower or bathe with an anti-bacterial soap in the evening before or the morning of your surgery. Plan ahead and have a family member or friend be with you at the time of your discharge. You will receive the time to arrive at the hospital and where to report to. If you have questions about preparing for surgery after 3 p.m., Monday through Friday or on the weekends, call the 815-875-2811 and ask to be connected with a Nursing Supervisor.
• Do not smoke or use nicotine products 24 hours prior to surgery.
• Do not drink any alcohol 24 hours prior to and following your procedure. Alcohol affects anesthesia and pain medications.
• Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
• Daily medications will be discussed and any special instructions prior to your surgery will be reviewed during your preoperative call.
• Do not eat or drink as advised by your nurse. This directive is based on what type of anesthesia or sedation you will receive for your surgery.
• Notify your physician if there is a change in your physical condition before your procedure, such as a cold or fever, or if you are allergic to Latex.
• Unless you received special instructions from the nurse, do not take any medications.
• Wear loose, comfortable clothing and leave your personal items at home. All you will need is your insurance card, driver’s license and form of payment.
• All jewelry should remain at home, the exception would be wedding bands. Remove ALL body jewelry and body piercings prior to admission for your surgery/procedure. For safety reasons, if jewelry is not removed prior to surgery, we reserve the right to remove the jewelry, even by cutting off the jewelry, if necessary.
• You may wear your eye glasses, hearing aids and dentures, please bring appropriate storage cases.
Arrive at the Main Outpatient/Emergency Entrance located off Park Avenue East at prearranged time. Proceed to the outpatient registration desk and inform them you are having surgery. Prior to placing the outpatient wristband on your arm, review for accuracy. We ask for you to limit family or friends accompanying you to no more than two individuals. Only one patient is allowed in a patient room at a time. All minor children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
You will receive written and verbal instructions about your post-operative care that will include, diet, rest, medication and activity. Plan ahead and have a family member or friend drive you home, and invite them to stay with you 24 hours after discharge. A nurse will follow up with you 24 hours after your surgery.
*Do not attempt to drive, operate dangerous machinery, make legal decisions or drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours after your procedure if you received sedation or anesthesia.